MIXED-USE DEVELOPMENT STANDARDS
What’s your vision for mixed-use development in Burbank?
Tell us all about it in our online survey!
The City of Burbank Planning is soliciting your input from Friday, October 20th through Friday, November 3rd.
Burbank 2035 establishes a long-term vision for the city, identifying actions to update Zoning and Specific Plan Area regulations to further sustainability, walkable neighborhoods, and quality building design through mixed-use development. In implementing Burbank 2035, the Planning Division is developing Citywide Mixed-Use Development Standards for consideration in key Specific Plan Areas – including the Burbank Center Plan (Downtown), the Media District, and the proposed Golden State Specific Plan (currently in development). This project is funded by a Strategic Growth Council-Sustainable Communities Planning Grant from the Southern California Association of Governments (SCAG) with assistance from a consultant team: Sargent Town Planning, Lisa Wise Consulting, and Studio One Eleven.
Creating Mixed-Use Development Standards will provide clear and consistent development standards that can facilitate mixed residential-commercial developments in key areas of the City, while creating vibrant neighborhoods with quality design, walkability, and compatible uses. Developing uniform standards will provide clear guidance to project applicants and architects early in the development review process, highlighting community expectations for mixed-use development, and provide appropriate standards for a mix of uses.
This project is anticipated to be completed in approximately 9 months and will include a series of community workshops, and public meetings and hearings. A tentative project schedule is available here.
UPCOMING PUBLIC MEETINGS
This project will be heard at the following public meeting:
- Planning Board Study Session on Monday, October 23, 2017, at 5 p.m. in the Council Chambers in City Hall at 275 E Olive Avenue in Burbank. Staff will present the results from Workshop #1 and seek Board members input on their vision for mixed-use development in Burbank.
To get input on the development of the Mixed-Use Development Standards, the City will host community workshops to engage interested community members, including property owners, residents, businesses, employees, and other interested individuals.
Workshop #1: October 7, 2017. Participants learned about the project, engaged in discussions on mixed-use development, and provided input on their vision of mixed-use in Burbank, including preferences for scale, amenities, and other features within each of the three Specific Plan Study Areas.
- The workshop presentation and video.
- The study area boards - Burbank Center Board, Media District, Golden State, and Smaller-Scale Mixed-Use.
PRIOR PUBLIC MEETINGS
The following public meetings on the project have occurred:
- Study Session to introduce the project held on December 6, 2016. The meeting agenda and staff report are available online (Item # M-1). Video of the meeting is available online.
- Informational update to City Council on September 26, 2017. The meeting agenda and staff report are available (Item #R-8). Video of the meeting is available online.
- Study Session to introduce the project held on April 25, 2016. The meeting agenda and staff report are available online (Item #3). Video of the meeting is available online.
FOR MORE INFORMATION
For more information, or to get on the mailing list, please contact Lindsay Hagan, Senior Planner, by phone at (818) 238-5250 or by email at LHagan@burbankca.gov.
To join the email notification list, please select e-Notify Me and select Planning & Zoning under News.